Ear, nose and throat specialists – commonly referred to as ENT doctors – aren’t well known to many people in Salem.
These hard-working medical professionals treat patients suffering from a wide variety of symptoms.
So, how do you know when it’s time to seek medical attention from an ENT?
What is Otolaryngology?
Ear, nose and throat doctors are also called otolaryngologists.
Otolaryngology is a medical specialty that focuses on ear, nose and throat disorders.
These specialists treat disorders affecting the following areas:
- Ears: Ear disorders such as ear infections, hearing impairment, tinnitus (ringing in the ears) and dizziness or balance disorders.
- Nose: Conditions that affect the nose, nasal cavities and sinuses, specifically those that interfere with smell and breathing.
- Throat: Problems that affect speech, eating, swallowing and digestion.
These are just the basics. Your Salem ENT doctor might specialize in a very specific area such as head and neck cancers, thyroid disorders, facial plastic and reconstructive surgery or sleep disorders.
When Should I Call an ENT?
ENTs treat almost any symptom that has to do with the ears, nose, throat, head or neck.
If you are experiencing any of the following, contact an otolaryngologist in Salem:
- Dizziness/vertigo/balance disorders
- Hearing impairment
- Ear infection
- Tonsil/adenoid infection
- Swimmer’s ear
- Pain in the ears, nose or throat
- Breathing problems
- Down’s syndrome
- Sinus infections
- Tumors in the ears, nose, throat, head or neck
- Deviated septum
- Undesirable facial or nose appearance
- Nasal congestion
- Inability to smell or taste
- Voice or swallowing problems
- Sore throat or hoarseness
- Gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD)
- Sleep apnea
Your primary care physician may be able to treat some of these symptoms, but an ENT is your go-to for more specialized care.
They will take a detailed look at what is causing your symptoms and will have the expert knowledge to address any long-term issues so you can breathe easily.
Related Ear, Nose & Throat Posts:
- Are My Watery Eyes and Runny Nose Allergies or Sinusitis?
- Sinus Headaches vs. Migraines
- How Does Immunotherapy Work?
Our Salem ENT Doctors Location
3099 River Rd S
Salem, OR 97302
“Everyone is nice and very efficient.”